Monday, August 08, 2005

 

The comfort zone

The comfort zone


Body language experts say men and women have an invisible area around them that should never be invaded. This personal space is different for each individual but we all have it and it can be very incomfortable to have to deal with someone who steps into this area that only exists in your mind.
In the same way, over the years we all develop "a comfort zone" in relation to our our everyday interactions with people. "We all like to give the impression that we embrace change and that we live for things that are new and different. But when it comes down to decision time, most of us stick to a very short list of comfortable situations that define what's called our 'comfort zone' "(Jim Turner)
Experience and character play the greatest part in shaping our "comfort zone" and it can be very challenging to try and break out of our routine. Everyone of us, to a higher or lesser degree, have been functioning within some self-imposed limits because it makes life easier. For one second lets stop thinking about life having to be comfortable and easy and lets step into the realm of exciting, passionate and limitless for starts.
For some getting out of their comfort zone might mean just starting up a conversation with a stranger or a co-worker we would like to get to know. For some it could mean finally taking that dream vacation that will cost lots of money but that will create priceless memories and experiences. For others it might mean going home and really trying to talk to our loved ones so that we create genuine relationships. Its not easy, but nothing really worthwhile ever is, at least not in my experience.
Here's a little poem from an Unknown Author that speaks clearly about the benefits of taking the first step:
MY COMFORT ZONE
By Author Unknown
I used to have a comfort zone where I knew I wouldn't fail.
The same four walls and busywork were really more like jail.
I longed so much to do the things I'd never done before,
But stayed inside my comfort zone and paced the same old floor.
I said it didn't matter that I wasn't doing much.
I said I didn't care for things like commission checks and such.
I claimed to be so busy with the things inside the zone,
But deep inside I longed for something special of my own.
I couldn't let my life go by just watching others win.
I held my breath; I stepped outside and let the change begin.
I took a step and with new strength I'd never felt before,
I kissed my comfort zone goodbye and closed and locked the door.
If you're in a comfort zone, afraid to venture out,
Remember that all winners were at one time filled with doubt.
A step or two and words of praise can make your dreams come true.
Reach for your future with a smile; success is there for you!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?